Friday 8 October 2010

Thank You, Characters.

And for once, I don't mean this sarcastically! My characters have finally decided to make life a little bit easier for me and divulge some of the plot. I don't think seven chapters of thirty is so bad ... of course, I need thirty out of thirty. But still. Early days.

And I realise that by saying early days I am actually damning myself. It is October 8th today, over a week into October, meaning that there are roughly three weeks until NaNo starts. I need to pull my finger out. I have more work than I anticipated for this project, but you know what? It's damn fun work to do. I enjoy doing it ... but plots have always been a little uphill for me. Other than that, I think I'm getting on okay; my characters know what they want and when they want it. I've come to realise I can't force situations upon them too much, because while in some they might comically flounder and probably give me a good thousand more words, usually, they'll just end up flat-out-refusing to do anything.

So, thank the lord, then, that Warhaven was already a fully formed (if partially unnamed) city five (nearly six, whoah) years ago. Thank the lord that Bryson has taken on a fair few incarnations, and so has Elaina, and maybe even Laciey, but we've all arrived at some kind of common ground which is the project that will commence this November.

What I am not thanking the lord for are the number of plot bunnies that seem to have made their way to my doorstep; the poor, fuzzy things (that, for some reason, I always imagine look a lot like dust bunnies) don't realise that I will probably only have time for one novel this November.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah for co-operative characters! I don't think mine will be co-operative until at least midway through November. I don't really have a proper plot yet and I'm already having problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, indeed! Admittedly, they've stopped letting on so much now, but it's been pretty helpful ... lol. Aww, but that's better than nothing, right? Don't worry about it! At this stage, it's okay not to have a fully developed plot. There's still two weeks left, after all! :) I guess I just have a bit of a thing for being over-prepared. >_< lol

    ReplyDelete